The City of Tempe Housing Authority will begin accepting applications for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program waitlist at 8 a.m. Aug. 16. The application process will be available online, although people requiring special assistance or who do not have internet access can call the city’s helpline.
Applications for the HCV Program, also known as Section 8, will be accepted through Aug. 22.
“We know individuals and families in our community are struggling financially due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are eager to serve more people in need through the Housing Choice Voucher Program,” said Tempe’s Human Services Director Naomi Farrell. “Lives are changed for the better when people do not have to struggle to stay housed. These residents can focus on improving their employment situations, returning to school or caring for their families.”
The HCV Program is a rental assistance program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Vouchers assist low-income families in renting apartments or homes on the private market. Utilizing the voucher, a person pays approximately 30 – 40% of income toward rent and utilities.
For those interested in applying:
• Application process will be available online at: https://www.waitlistcheck.com/AZ177-3482.
• Applications will be accepted starting at 8 a.m. Aug. 16. Waitlist closes at 11:59 p.m. Aug. 22.
• All applicants will be screened to determine if they meet federally-mandated qualifications, including income limits.
• All applicants will be placed on a waitlist.
• For general questions beginning Aug. 16, call 480-350-8950 Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. For those needing special assistance or without internet access, call 480-350-8076 on Saturday, Aug. 21 from 8 a.m. – noon.
• Interested applicants will be selected first by preference (live/work in Tempe or qualified under the federal Violence Against Women Act) and then on a first-come-first-served basis.