The COVID-19 pandemic is disrupting people’s food environments: a resource list on Food Systems and Nutrition responses
The current global outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) has disrupted food systems around the world. Food environments are where people meet the food system. Around the world people’s food environments are rapidly changing in both their external dimensions – food availability, prices, vendors- as well as personal dimensions – geographical access, affordability, convenience and desirability. These rapid food environment changes are influencing the consumers’ dietary practices and can lead to a deterioration in both individual, and country level,nutritional and health status.
People, and their health and nutrition status, are what counts. Sustainable healthy diets that contain sufficient fruits and vegetables are crucial in protecting people’s immunity. Particularly for those at risk of, or suffering from food insecurity and those with pre-existing non-communicable diseases who are at a heightened risk of becoming severely ill with the virus.
The work of UN agencies and partner organizations to promote nutrition and healthy food systems during the pandemic is continually expanding and strengthening. Contributing to the coronavirus pandemic response, the UNSCN has compiled a list of available resources and key readings with a focus on nutrition and food systems. This list will be continually updated and expanded as more resources become available.
UN AGENCIES GENERAL RESPONSE
- UN: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (Continually updated)
- WHO: COVID-19 pandemic (Continually updated)
Latest updates on COVID-19 including daily press releases, technical guidance, advice for the public and research updates.
- FAO: COVID-19 Outbreak (Continually updated)
An overview of FAO’s action in regard to the outbreak, key messages, questions and answers.
- UNICEF: COVID-19 – what you need to know about the virus to protect you and your family (Continually updated)
Latest news and fact based information on COVID-19, including advice for parents, teens, teachers and employees.
- WFP: Emergency Response and Situation Reports (Continually updated)
Latest updates on WFP’s response to COVID-19, key links and situation reports.
- UN Women, WHO, IFRC and OCHA: COVID-19: How to include marginalized and vulnerable people in risk communication and community engagement (19 March)
A guide for risk communication and community engagement with marginalized people who are more vulnerable in emergencies.
- OCHA: Global humanitarian response plan COVID-19 (25 March)
Prepared by members of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC), including UN, other international organizations and NGOs with a humanitarian mandate, to analyse and respond to the direct public health and indirect immediate humanitarian consequences of the pandemic, particularly on people in countries already facing other crises.
PREGNANCY, BREASTFEEDING, INFANT/YOUNG CHILD FEEDING
SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN
EMERGENCY NUTRITION RESPONSE
Articles and blog posts providing insights into nutrition and food systems in the response to COVID-19
Relevant discussion groups and CoPs
- Food for the Cities – Join the community to get in touch with a large group of practitioners, researchers, professors, urban and rural community leaders, technicians and professionals in diverse agency settings sharing ways in which communities, cities and national governments are organizing to address enormous economic and social transformations (in the food system) as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic.